12 Jan City Confidential: Week of 1/6/19
Before City Confidential went on our holiday sabbatical we joked that no one should get raided or arrested in our absence. Seriously, we were not joking.
This week’s column was going to examine whether U.S. Senator Bob Casey makes a formidable candidate for President or Vice President. That was before Mayor Bill Courtright went and got himself raided.
All kidding aside. The last thing we want to do is put out bad information. We have received plenty of calls since Wednesday and many of the assertions have already proven to be untrue. Here is what we know:
- On Wednesday, FBI agents were seen raiding City Hall. The Mayor was not in the building, likely because he was worried about …
- FBI agents raiding his West Mountain home on the same day.
- The FBI had search warrants and removed evidence. What that evidence is we do not know for certain.
- No one … and we mean no one … really saw this coming. Courtright ally Pat Rogan seems blindsided by the whole thing. Courtright critic Bill Gaughan is unusually quiet. David Bulzoni, the city administrator, was not in the building at the time of the raid.
- If the Mayor resigns, and that’s a huge if, Rogan will become the Acting Mayor until such time as the City Council selects a replacement.
This is a developing story. City Confidential is a place for opinion, gossip, and analysis. We encourage you to track changes with the hard reporting done by the talented staff here at Scranton Citizen.